Shape Up Practitioners Remote Meetup

Will new events just be posted on this thread?

Yes, Iā€™ll always announce them here, in addition to the official meetup.com group. Next one is likely to be in August!

Can I ask in return what prompted you to post this question? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m interested in learning from others who are implementing some / all of Shape Up in their teams for internal projects or client projects.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

as I mentioned, the meetup series took a short break in July. Now weā€™re back, and I am excited to announce that John-Henry Forster, VP Product at UserInterviews.com, will share his teamā€™s story of adopting and adapting Shape Up.

JHā€™s team started to use Shape Up when the book was released in summer last year. Before that, the team had grown from just a handful of people working together informally to eight developers. They reached for Kanban and Scrum but did not find what they were looking for.

Whatā€™s unique about the team at UserInterviews.com is the fact that they are now running a version of Shape Up with three squads that are decoupled. This means that the squads are working on independent cycles with appetites ranging from two to six weeks, leading to a rolling system of shaping, betting, and building.

Tune in on August 26th, 6 pm (UTC) to hear John-Henry explain their journey and why they made the adaptations to Shape Up the way they did. You can sign up through the meetup page below :point_down:

2 Likes

Hi David,
Iā€™m new to the forum so missed this unfortunately. Any chance you recorded the session and could share it with us? Sounds like exactly the sort of discussion Iā€™m looking for! :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Richard.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

sure thing, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2AE2V33DQ&ab_channel=ShapeUpPractitionersRemoteMeetup

The channel has recordings for all past meetups, and will have them for future ones. :slight_smile:

If you go to the ā€œofficialā€ meetup page, it also contains a link to the YouTube live stream which turns to the recording URL right after.

Hope you can take something from it!

David

2 Likes

Amazing. Thanks for organising David. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:mega: Call for Speakers

Hey everyone,

itā€™s been a while since the last meetup. Iā€™ve been busy with changing jobs and other things since then. But now I would really love to put together another meetup for this year.

If your team is using Shape Up and you could see yourself sharing your experience (good and bad!), please reach out!

You can either send me a DM here or reach me on Twitter @davidarens.

And please ā€“ donā€™t be shy. We can all learn so much from each other. The posts on this forum have been amazing so far.

Looking forward to chatting!

David

Hey everyone,

If you havenā€™t seen it yet in the meetup group, thereā€™s a final 2020 meetup happening next Wednesday.

@janmikula will share his teamā€™s experience at Salsita Software, whoā€™s used Shape Up both on internal projects and with clients.

The title of his talk will be ā€œShaping Work With Design Sprints & Other Tipsā€.

You can RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/shapeup-practitioners/events/274753646/

Excited for this opportunity to learn from Jan, and hoping to see a lot of you there! :slight_smile:

David

Thanks @david for organizing the meetup. If somebody is interested, here are the slides and video.

1 Like

Hey all,

as you may have seen, I havenā€™t been able to put together any meetups in months. Iā€™d love for this format to continue, yet am currently not able to give it the attention that it deserves.

Is there anyone interested in taking over the organization (temporary or permanently), and maybe giving all this a fresh push?

I will be formally stepping down as the organizer on meetup.com, so please let me know if youā€™d be up for taking over!

ā€“David

Heeeey David!

Is this still active?
It would be really good to continue with the meetups. I know now the Holidays are coming, but I would like to think about meetups for 2022.
Shape up practitioners is a really good community.

ā€“Juan

2 Likes

Hey Juan,
Love your enthusiasm! :slight_smile: But sadly I do not have the bandwidth to keep this going right now.

I will actually have to shut down the Meetup group soon. You (or anyone else) is more than welcome to take over as organizer, but if no one steps up within the next 2 weeks or so, Iā€™ll cancel the subscription.

Cheers,

David

PS: The YouTube channel with past recordings will of course remain. :wink:

1 Like

Hey David!

I would really like to help to keep the community alive, I think there is great value in it and we can continue learning together.

Maybe we can discuss what is required to keep it alive and make a transition if you donā€™t have the required bandwidth.

Iā€™ve joined meetup communities before but never hosted one only by myself, but I can learn fast :joy:

Regards

4 Likes

Thank you for making the previous meetup recordings available here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmIlKaQFptBeYmVcybA7yaw/videos

2 Likes

Surprise: We are back for season 2 of the Shape Up Practitioners Remote Meetup!! :partying_face:

Itā€™s been almost two years since the last event, but the wait has been worth it. We* are beyond excited to announce that Chris Spiek (@chriscbs) (CPO at Autobooks) and Justin Dickow (Head of Engineering at Autobooks) will kick off ā€œseason 2ā€ of this meetup series.

Join us on November 9th at 3:30pm EST / 9:30pm CET to hear how the team at Autobooks has iterated on Shape Up together with Ryan over the past year, and the adjustments theyā€™ve had to make along the way.

Chris and Ryan shared a glimpse of this at Fintech DevCon in August. In the upcoming meetup, Justin and Chris are going to take us all one level deeper and talk us through concrete examples of the tensions that arose between product and engineering and how theyā€™ve had to re-invent the way they work as a result of a phase of unprecedented growth of the business.

You wonā€™t want to miss this conversation if your team has ever run into similar friction across disciplines, all while trying to steadily ship high-quality software.

As always, the session will be kept highly participatory and weā€™ll make sure to give plenty of room for Q&A, discussions and in-depth sharing of experiences. So while there will be a recording, we highly recommend you come and join the live session!

Register for the event here: Webinar Registration - Zoom

See you in November!

David & Juan

* Iā€™m grateful to announce that Juan Villarejo (@jvillarejo), Co-founder & CTO at Nulinga, has joined the meetup as co-organizer. Itā€™s thanks to him and his passion for the Shape Up community that this meetup series gets a second chance. Thank you so much, Juan, and letā€™s go!

4 Likes

ā€¦ and weā€™re keeping the ball rolling :soccer: :star_struck:

:point_right: Signup here: Webinar Registration - Zoom

(and hereā€™s the same event hosted on the Meetup page, if you want to join the community there: S2E2: Klaus Breyer: From Scrum to Shape Up - Grey Areas During Transit, Do., 1. Dez. 2022, 20:00 | Meetup)

1 Like