Shape Up and OKRs

We’re implementing Shape Up in our Product and Software team and one thing we normally do in our company is review and track OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) across our company. I’m wondering if other people are reporting out on OKRs when you’re implementing Shape Up methodology in your development teams.

I know OKRs are highly dependent on the company and team goals but I’m wondering what kind of Objectives and Key Results folks are tracking and sharing across teams.

2 Likes

I had a conversation with Chris Spiek at Autobooks about this once, because they use OKRs. We found a good way to frame the relationship between OKRs and Shape Up was like this: when you shape pitches for the betting table, and evaluate which pitch to bet on, you can treat the OKRs as a filter. That is, ask: “which of these projects gets us closer to this metric?” And “which projects could we shape for next cycle that would move the needle?”

5 Likes

Similar experience for us when we used to use OKRs.

They provided guidance when deciding what things to shape and which bets to make.

we use OKRs in our team as well. Actually we just got shift from Scrum to Shape up (today was last day of 1st Cycle).

Previously we had Building/Tech team separately and Product team OKRs separately, but what I promoted is to treat all of us under same Product team. We have defined our goals for this quarter for the product (for us its to increase RPM, also user engagement rate).

So we consider this during ideation and shaping, also later in Betting table as well. And we will treat Building team goal achieved if we reach the product goals. And that makes so much sense and organic :slight_smile:

Sort of off @rjs idea - You can also track OKRs on a hill chart at a higher level (such as a team in Basecamp). If completing a project isn’t going to move the OKR closer to the finish line, don’t do it. We’re starting to do this simply with product goals in general. For example we historically do B2B sales, we’re tracking “Self Service and Onboarding” as a higher level strategy and won’t do projects that don’t get it closer to the finish line.

2 Likes

Put this together: Miro | Online Whiteboard for Visual Collaboration Feedback welcomed.

I covered a quick example of a nice way to structure OKRs in Basecamp in my write up of OKRs here with a public link to an example basecamp to-do lists: Objectives and Key Results - Obsidian Publish

Also talked about how they can fit really well into a higher level structure (team level vs. project level) to help with shaping and betting.

1 Like

Interesting. Definitely read this when you can.

Something in particular about it?