HEY Bubble Up: From kickoff to launch — 37signals

This is great article by Michelle Harjani — Product Designer at Basecamp about how they implement the Bubble Up feature in Hey. There are lots of details about how exactly they are using Shape Up. Very inspiring.

2 Likes

I loved the article!

I was so curious that I twitted Michelle some questions about the Weekly Meetings and de Mid Cycle Review.

In my organization we are doing a Hands-off but different from their Kick off.
We also are doing a Demo during our cycle 3rd week, but only with Product Leaders and the specific project team, we aren’t doing it like Basecamp team with the all the in cycle projects.

After reading the article, I’m considering doing a Mid Cycle review with more product people.
Also we aren’t doing weekly meetings like office hours for designers and developers, so I’m considering in establishing them optionally.

Do you have have meetings in your organization @janmikula ?

1 Like

I changed job after 9 years month ago, so everything is new in the current organization and we slowly starting to experiment with Shape Up.

But in previous job we had weekly reviews of the whole team discussing both technical and design stuff.

1 Like

Yeah this was a great read, super valuable insight into how the project teams run each project.

It’s super interesting seeing comparisons of some of the stuff they’re doing compared to how we’re solving similar challenges - we also have started doing mid cycle reviews though a bit more open across the company to get different inputs.

I also thought the collaboration and how the project team interfaces with QA, Support, etc at different stages throughout the project was super useful to takeaway.

1 Like

Hey @JoshAntBrown
What’s your experience with the mid cycle reviews being opened across the company?

I’m asking because, when we invited more people who didn’t have technical knowledge (software/ux), the reviews didn’t feel comfortable, we spend a lot of time explaining things to them instead of the building team receiving useful feedback (which for us was the main purpose of the cycle review).

Hey, sorry for the late reply here!

Generally positive, we’re still doing them. It tends to be a small selection of people from across the company that are likely to have some sort of domain context, so usually a representative from each team. It gives those people a bit of a preview of what’s coming up, and allows them to share their perspective, feedback or ask any questions.

I was concerned to begin with that it might de-rail things, make things feel less certain but that hasn’t been the case, perhaps because of the way those people have been selected.

Our mid-cycle reviews are typically more focused on overall UX than technical architecture which gets reviewed/discussed informally on a semi-weekly basis.