I’m really interested in learning from individuals who brought Shape Up practices to their client work. Specifically freelancers/solo consultants.
The past few years of client work usually start out the same for me:
- Do a decent job of exploratory work in the beginning of the relationship.
- Build some product for the client.
- Iterate some ideas because some unforeseen supply-side constraint.
- Eventually start down the path of the dark side with endless email/ticket system of work without wel defined scopes or trade offs.
I am quite interested in how you have:
- Gotten clients to agree to setting a fixed time and variable scope.
- Set expectations with clients to consistently participate in shaping/discovery work.
- Designed systems to hold yourself accountable to avoiding scope creep and facilitate work cycle after cycle.
What else from the Shape Up book did you find difficult to implement in client work? How did you modify the strategy to meet your needs?
Thanks @rjs for putting this forum together